What is the best lifting gas for an airship?

Technical discussions regarding LTA-technology.

What is the best lifting gas for an airship?

Hydrogen
37%
Helium
37%
Methane
No votes
Hot Air
No votes
A combination of one/more of the above
27%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 30

Mack

Re: What is the best lifting gas for an airship?

Postby Mack » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:17 am

@flyhigh
If you're low on cash but you still love LTA flight, a good entry in the LTA-world is of course hot air ballooning, then followed by gas-ballooning, then a thermal airship and afterwards a full blown blimp.

If you want to fly purely for sightseeing, a hot air or gas balloon is a perfectly fine and cheaper alternative. A thermal airship isn't really more fun than either of those. They are primarily good for advertising, but balloons are better fit for fun-flights. Easier to set up, not as much noise (zero with a gasballoon), less piloting work (unless you enjoy doing that) and both need about the same weather conditions to fly.

yama

Postby yama » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:57 pm

flyhigh wrote:I too am skeptical about large passenger rigids using hydrogen again, I feel there's just so little demand for it, it all depends on the demand of the public.

Obviously, even if one does get hydrogen over with the public, insurance costs for hydrogen airship are still going to be much higher which would eat away part of the cost saving. And of course, it might be difficult to convince public about merits of the hydrogen since they are primarily over cost. Somebody will eventually phrase the question: "Would you really sacrifice passenger safety just to make more money for your business?"

Coincidentally, I discovered that Skyship experimental airship used mix of hydrogen and helium. Though of course, it was remote-controlled.

flyhigh
Flag: United States of America

Postby flyhigh » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:54 pm

yama wrote:
flyhigh wrote:I too am skeptical about large passenger rigids using hydrogen again, I feel there's just so little demand for it, it all depends on the demand of the public.

Obviously, even if one does get hydrogen over with the public, insurance costs for hydrogen airship are still going to be much higher which would eat away part of the cost saving. And of course, it might be difficult to convince public about merits of the hydrogen since they are primarily over cost. Somebody will eventually phrase the question: "Would you really sacrifice passenger safety just to make more money for your business?"

Coincidentally, I discovered that Skyship experimental airship used mix of hydrogen and helium. Though of course, it was remote-controlled.

Insurance is indeed an issue with hydrogen. It may just be cheaper and easier to go with helium, gets rid of a whole lot of annoying bureaucracy and complaints. And after all, if one can build a 10 million dollar airship, one can afford to fill it with helium.

It's ironic that helium scarcity is a thing, while it's the second most abundant element in the universe. I get it, it's relatively scarce on earth, but it's annoying that we can't just grab it from space. It's so close....yet so far away.
blimps don't crash, they sink.
~don't tread on me~

yasuo801
Flag: Japan

Postby yasuo801 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:04 am

I voted Hydrogen. Because helium is running out and more expensive than hydrogen. They will become a big problem of using helium for airships/blimps and medical treatments. Actually,hydrogen is the one of most famous flammable gas.It'll remind people Hindenburg...to use hydrogen for airships.
Helium is running out even today. So I think we should use hydrogen instead helium. Maybe in the future... [think]
Excuse my badly English please :)

Hardship102
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Hardship102 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:01 pm

Helium and hydrogen. Two sections in the same cell, as hydrogen is the better lifting gas and helium is the inert gas it should be Hydrogen in the center section of the cell and helium on the outside. Just my pov. The ship would of course have sensors and if there is a possible hydrogen leak then all the hydrogen would be released in that cell, which would be surrounded by helium.

As for the whole hydrogen being so dangerous people must remember that accidents happen in aviation aswell as other modes of transport with whatever combustible fuel they use.

La France
Flag: Russia

Postby La France » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Hydrogen it is the lightest lifting gas
La France

La France
Flag: Russia

Postby La France » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Hydrogen had 20 safe passenger years until someone put a bomb on the Hindenburg i hate whoever put the bomb on the Hindenburg:[
La France

Return to “Technical Aspects”