What is the best lifting gas for an airship?

Technical discussions regarding LTA-technology.

Hydrogen
37%
Helium
37%
Methane
No votes
Hot Air
No votes
A combination of one/more of the above
27%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 30

Airshipcenter
Site Admin
Flag: Netherlands

Postby Airshipcenter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:43 pm

What do you think is the best lifting gas?

In my opinion it is still helium, at least for manned blimps/airships. I think hydrogen could be used for unmanned drones, since it's cheap and I think more accepted, if the government(s) would allow it.

I've heard from various sources that there are actually still vast reserves of helium in American soil, there's just no real incentive to get it out yet. One of the bad things of helium is of course the cost, but hydrogen has such bad publicity.

Maybe a combination? What do you think :) ?

Airshipboy

Re: What is the best lifting gas for an airship?

Postby Airshipboy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Hmmm. I actually think hydrogen could work well enough with modern day fireproof materials. Also, make sure the cupola and the airbags are separated by extra thick fireproof materials, just in case...

ComAir

Postby ComAir » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:34 pm

I'd say that the best gas in 'theoretical' sense is naturally helium, but in real life it might not be so because of the said scarcity of the gas on earth (although that is debatable in itself.) I think that with current technology, hydrogen airships are viable, but getting the permits and licenses from your government to construct one and fly one above populated area's must be near damn impossible these days. So, yeah, it's hard to say which is the best gas, both theoretically and practically. But for the actual airship companies out there right now, it is no doubt, helium.

luftschiff

Postby luftschiff » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:09 pm

ComAir wrote:I'd say that the best gas in 'theoretical' sense is naturally helium, but in real life it might not be so because of the said scarcity of the gas on earth (although that is debatable in itself.) I think that with current technology, hydrogen airships are viable, but getting the permits and licenses from your government to construct one and fly one above populated area's must be near damn impossible these days. So, yeah, it's hard to say which is the best gas, both theoretically and practically. But for the actual airship companies out there right now, it is no doubt, helium.

I have to agree, helium is great and there is enough to supply current need and i am sure future technology will solve this ''shortage'' problem of the most abundant element in the universe.

Prinzh

Postby Prinzh » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:30 pm

luftschiff wrote:
ComAir wrote: ... But for the actual airship companies out there right now, it is no doubt, helium.

I have to agree, helium is great

I do not know in your countries and we always have great became conventional offenders and fools - Nesterov, Tsiolkovsky ..., oh yes ... and remember your - Giordano Bruno ...

Will there be crazy to fly on hydrogen?
I would have helped him ...

Henry
Flag: Estonia

Postby Henry » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:31 pm

Well I would like to say helium but... The hydrogen has more lifting power. Basically they both have their pro's and con's.
Somewhere out there... Somewhere in the blue blue sky...

Airship-advocate

Postby Airship-advocate » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:11 pm

An idea for combining lift gases, might be having an inner cell of hydrogen, surrounded by an outer cell of helium. There might be a way for small amounts of cell gas leakage to be safely and systematically purged or recycled(?).

Henry
Flag: Estonia

Postby Henry » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:59 pm

Airship-advocate wrote:An idea for combining lift gases, might be having an inner cell of hydrogen, surrounded by an outer cell of helium. There might be a way for small amounts of cell gas leakage to be safely and systematically purged or recycled(?).

Good idea , that way you can have best of both worlds. Lifting power of hydrogen and safety of helium.
Somewhere out there... Somewhere in the blue blue sky...

turtleairships

Postby turtleairships » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:55 pm

what gas to use is the wrong question

since we all know that hydrogen is the best lift gas in regards to ability; and that is is more readily available, everywhere, at less cost than helium;
the question should be "how do we make airships that can use hydrogen with complete safety/ prove that/ and move on to create a real, viable airship industry?"

the answer is: use "fireproof aluminum" (google search that).....aerogels, and ceramic foams.
robotic ships at first to prove them, plan on ten year program to fly hydrogen ships and get enough experience to show and move on from there.

Darrell Campbell
Turtle Airships

ComAir

Postby ComAir » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:25 am

Prinzh wrote:
luftschiff wrote:
ComAir wrote: ... But for the actual airship companies out there right now, it is no doubt, helium.

I have to agree, helium is great

I do not know in your countries and we always have great became conventional offenders and fools - Nesterov, Tsiolkovsky ..., oh yes ... and remember your - Giordano Bruno ...

Will there be crazy to fly on hydrogen?
I would have helped him ...

The problem with hydrogen is the public fear factor and government regulations prohibiting it.
It probably depends per country, but I don't see a reason why a modern airship company should use hydrogen. It scares away investors, too.
Helium is commercially sold, and Zeppelin GmbH can survive commercially using helium, so no reason to swap.

The Germans didn't use helium for their Zeppelins because the US didn't sell off their helium reserves. I'm sure if they could've bought it they would have.

Return to “Technical Aspects”