NEW USERS: Due to the high amount of spam registrations, you will need to send a message through our Contact Form to notify us of your registration so your account can be verified.

Some questions

A place to discuss ballooning (gas and hot air) and anything related to it.
Lasso

Some questions

Postby Lasso » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:36 am

I got a some questions on HA-balloons:
1) How do they retain their shape during flight? Is this because of the internal pressure of the heated, expanding air?
2) Is it possible that strong winds during flight can overcome the internal pressure, 'fold' the envelope and crash because of it?
3) What material is the balloon made out of and can it catch fire?

balloonigan

Re: Some questions

Postby balloonigan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Yes the internal pressure is created by the heat and keeps the 'envelope' in shape.

And yes it's possible for strong wing gusts or wind shear to distort or even collapse an envelope, but this is why we only fly them in stable air with light winds.

Most hot air balloons are made from rip-stop nylon (like parachutes) coated with polyurethane or silicon. Polyester is also used but less..

Lasso

Postby Lasso » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks for the answers balloonigan. Have you ever experienced or seen a bad accident or crash with hot air balloon? I assume it's pretty safe. I may book a trip soon.

turtleairships

Postby turtleairships » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:04 pm

Hot air ballooning is a fine and "safe" way to fly. Accidents do happen, they are extremely infrequent.
You should not worry, any more than you might worry over crossing the street in light traffic.
If you are able, try to book a flight at the earliest part of the day that you can.
Just stand back and enjoy the ride! You will experience a marvelous, calm and delightful flight!

Lasso

Postby Lasso » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:35 am

Thanks turtleairships, will do.

pyronaught
Flag: United States of America

Postby pyronaught » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:37 am

My Mom bought me a hot air balloon ride for my 37th birthday. I was so enthralled by it I became a balloon pilot within that same year! The only thing more thrilling than that first balloon flight was my first solo flight :)

LTA_Montreal

Postby LTA_Montreal » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:49 am

Crazy question. The air is hot inside a balloon from burning gas. Hasn't anyone tried solar panels on the balloon's exterior instead?

Dorian Galenistul
Flag: Romania

Postby Dorian Galenistul » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 pm

How small is the smallest manned hot air balloon?

Return to “Ballooning”