NEW USERS: Due to the high amount of spam registrations, you will need to send a message through our Contact Form to notify us of your registration so your account can be verified.

Lack of Airship Interest?

A place to generally discuss airships and anything related to LTA-aviation.
pyronaught
Flag: United States of America

Lack of Airship Interest?

Postby pyronaught » Thu May 18, 2017 1:31 pm

When I google search for airship forums this site is really the only thing that seems to exist, and even here discussion is very infrequent. There is an Airship List that has probably been around for a long time but I've never managed to successfully subscribe to it. List servers are pretty archaic anyway and don't allow you to browse discussions from the past, so they are pretty worthless. But overall it seems like this is a topic that just doesn't seem to generate any interest, despite many new LTA type projects in recent years. Last month there was a big story about an actual zeppelin being developed in Silicon Valley and nobody here even took note of it.

turtleairships

Re: Lack of Airship Interest?

Postby turtleairships » Thu May 18, 2017 11:31 pm

@pyronaught
You notice that there are no comments concerning the "flight" of the Airlander a week or so ago? no one cares. Or perhaps, people recognize that all the hype they have heard about it in the past is nonsense.
after awhile, people just can't get up enough enthusiasm over one more glorified balloon that is so obviously headed for the dust bin of history.............

and there just aren't any other airship projects out there that are viable.
Atlant might be; if Russia government will continue to fund it. Latest word on that is a 2020 timeframe....

participation here is almost entirely focused on (1) history, (2) small personal blimp ideas.

anyway, your "lack of Airship Interest" observation is one reason why the industry just can't seem to florish.
Having said that, Turtle Airships is just going to offer the following observations; that ALL past airship designs, companies, projects have been "WRONG"; for the following reasons:
(1) airship shapes are wrong
(2) materials out of which airships are built are wrong
(3) methods of airship construction are wrong
(4) lift gasses used are wrong
(5) airship propulsion is wrong
(6) airship flight operations are wrong
(7) ground handling procedures are wrong
(8) business models are wrong
(9) expectations for airships are wrong

I am Darrell Campbell. My email address is turtleairships AT Hotmail DOT COM
Love to discuss any or all of the above with anyone.......

pyronaught

Postby pyronaught » Fri May 19, 2017 5:02 am

I don't even mind what the most common topic of focus is, it's the complete lack of ANY discussion that is sad. Given that this appears to be the only airship forum left on the internet, it is not like people are just posting somewhere else. Even the once thriving RC blimp forum on RCgroups has completely died. The Aiship Modeler website is gone now. Is everyone just wasting all their time on Facebook these days? I don't really understand it.

HeavyLifter
Flag: Bolivia

Postby HeavyLifter » Mon May 22, 2017 12:58 am

Well, maybe there is just fatigue about all of the ideas that have been tried but didn't go anywhere. I tried to start a discussion about heavy lift airships, but that didn't go far. I got an invitation to a PM discussion, but I don;t know what to say to start a discussion until I get some kind of response to what I said. I pretty much agree with the nine points bout what is wrong, but maybe we have different viewpoints about the details of what would be right.

pyronaught

Postby pyronaught » Mon May 22, 2017 1:38 am

Not sure why people like to take these discussions offline via PM, the whole point of a forum is to discuss things as a group.

While a lot of ideas have been tried and failed, the golden age of airship enjoyed quite a few successful ships that performed as intended. The vague post claiming it was all wrong is short on details. The rigid airship pioneers had a good design, used the best materials in their time and have a long track record of real airships making real flights. While their methods would be economically prohibitive today using the exact same materials and process, there was certainly nothing "wrong" with their designs at the time.

HeavyLifter

Postby HeavyLifter » Mon May 22, 2017 9:06 pm

I want to amend my comment about the nine "wrongs" to say that Things in the past have not been all wrong. If it lifted people into the air and transported them, it was to that degree not wrong. The blimp design has been, and continues to be, very successful. It is the right shape. Future ships need to look at hydrogen again.

turtleairships

Postby turtleairships » Tue May 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Okay guys.....by "wrong",
I do not mean to disparage all the good progress made with airship designs in the past
(though we would have to reach all the way to the 30's even in that case).
what is "wrong"....is that none have led to where the lighter-than-air industry should be.

there are thousands of airplanes and helicopters; yet fewer than 100 airships capable of carrying passengers or cargoes (in real, viable work-done numbers and/or payloads). this, after more than a century; and a history longer than that of heavier than air craft.

clearly, SOMETHING is wrong with airships.

The details are too numerous, and encompass so much varied things, to allow for extensive explanation/discussion within such a limited forum.............hence the invitation to private email; where communications can go back and forth far more readily and comprehensively.

HeavyLifter

Postby HeavyLifter » Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Thanks for the clarification about what is wrong with airships. You make a good point about the lack of progress. In my thread I gave what I believe are some of the reasons for the dead-end airship projects.

Regarding public versus private discussion: Discussing things privately has two advantages: (1) You can keep secrets from the rest, and (2) You can avoid cross-talk and distractions from too many responses. I am not interested in #1 at this point, because I just want to see it done, even if someone steals my ideas. Point #2 certainly is not applicable here, where we have a dearth of responses. If you want to PM me about something you want to keep private, that is fine, but I want everyone to see what I am saying. If I get into a long discussion about some of these details with just you, then maybe you decide that my approach is not correct, it will all be kind of wasted, whereas if we do that discussion in public, there is still a chance that someone else might be interested and follow up on it.

I would suggest that you bring up these extensive things one by one in the open forum, unless of course you don't want to divulge something, which is fine.

frontiersman

Postby frontiersman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:45 pm

I know people are in this group to discuss airships in a forum setting, but I am noticing a decent amount of traffic on the Airships, dirigibles and Zeppelins facebook page. Maybe some advertising there would help breathe some life into the forum.

pyronaught

Postby pyronaught » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:41 am

I found that facebook group just today and yes, there is quite a bit of activity there. That seems to be the most active airship discussion group that exists currently.

Return to “General Discussion”