Why did so many airship projects fail?

A place to generally discuss airships and anything related to LTA-aviation.
flyhigh
Flag: United States of America

Re: Why did so many airship projects fail?

Postby flyhigh » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:13 pm

yama wrote:Nowadays this would be much less of a problem, obviously. Recently I watched videos of operating old Goodyear blimp and their new NT. I didn't even know those GZ-20's are so old-fashioned. NT flies more like a helicopter, requires much less personnel and has less risk factors.

Exactly, the NT is fantastic in that aspect. Vectoring engines on the sides and tail make landing and taking off so much easier, and also much safer. Landing and taking off was always a dangerous part of airship procedure, but the solution is found on the NT.
blimps don't crash, they sink.
~don't tread on me~

Bodensee Zeppelin
Flag: Germany

Postby Bodensee Zeppelin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:39 pm

It was still experimental technology. Same reason why so many early aircraft crashed. The important word in your title is did. In this day and age much can be prevented.
Doing my part in cherishing Zeppelins

Bodensee Zeppelin
Flag: Germany

Postby Bodensee Zeppelin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:57 pm

pyronaught wrote:I think the most viable return strategy for rigid airships is the Bill Gates scenario-- the super rich guy who wants one bad enough to fund its development. It is going to take a billionaire to do this though, mere millionaire isn't going to cut it. Most of these really rich people have the majority of their net worth tied up in stocks or other investments and can't just sell off a bunch of stock to fund something big without losing control of their companies. So it has to be someone so incredibly rich that 100 million won't put a dent in their wealth. Lucky for us, there are currently 1,826 billionaires around the globe! It is only a matter of time before one of them takes a liking to airships. Many of them already spend as much money on large yachts as they would have to for an airship, I think the only thing that keeps them from buying airships is that there are none around to buy-- or at least not any that offer a compelling sense of luxury and adventure. Being stuck in a tiny gondola isn't going to open any wallets. But it's a chicken before the egg problem: no luxury rigids exist on the market, so it is out of sight, out of mind. The mega rich like to compete with each other for who has the coolest and most luxurious stuff, which usually means large houses, yachts, cars etc. Once one of them breaks through this barrier and has a large rigid built to show the world, the others will all see it and then there is the potential at least some of them will also want one. Many billionaires already have secret projects they fund behind the scenes, like flying cars, space craft, huge underground bunkers, cryogenics-- just all kinds of crazy James Bond stuff. If I had that kind of money I'd be doing that stuff too! Now one of them just needs to get the airship bug. Someone with some good graphic design skills should throw up a fantasy website selling luxury rigids just to show what such a thing might look like, then maybe some billionaire will see it and take the bait!

Agreed. I think, a modern LZ 120 would be feasible. For a single billionaire the cabin could be outfitted luxuriously good enough, with a bath, a few bedrooms, a galley, some 10 seats for friends, more then enough space for a personal aircraft.
Price for construction should be kept under 60 million. The real question is what can it be used for, it would be a status / popularity / advertising ICON. It doesn't have much practicality compared to a jet, but fun is enough reason for an billionaire enthusiast. It would be one epic holiday vehicle, to travel cross country with, or to use as an aerial office. I see a Bodensee class airship as the most viable type, that's what I'd do in an if scenario. Another Hindenburg class would be too ambitious and unfeasible I think, although I wouldn't stop any billionaire from trying.
Doing my part in cherishing Zeppelins

Return to “General Discussion”