Where can I buy this airship?

A place to generally discuss airships and anything related to LTA-aviation.
Airshippeer

Where can I buy this airship?

Postby Airshippeer » Mon May 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi everybody, I am new here. I'm very interested in finding a relaxing way to experience flight, and I've become a large fan of airships.
Hot air balloons are too noisy for me, and too uncontrollable. Now of course full sized airships are out of my reach, so I was more searching for a motorized buoyant balloon. Then I came along this video, and it shows exactly what I mean. It is not the big one I am referring to, but the smaller, balloon shaped one, featured at min. 1:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbGYRsDgJxs

Does anyone here know where I can buy such a motorized balloon?

Also, what is the benefit of the larger, torpedo shaped airship, compared to the balloon shaped airship? They both seem to have the same propulsion. The balloon one seems a lot more practical since it's much smaller. Why is the other one so much larger if they both can only hold 1 man?

turtleairships

Re: Where can I buy this airship?

Postby turtleairships » Mon May 02, 2016 6:12 pm

@ airshippeer

France, Marseilles
here is link:
http://aeroplume.fr/en/

the larger dirigible probably has more fuel for longer flight, and is certainly more maneuverable

Airshippeer

Postby Airshippeer » Wed May 04, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi turtleairships, thanks for the link, but it's not exactly what I was referring to.
It looks certainly fun what they have, but I was more interested in exactly the kind featured in the video.

After researching it a bit further, it seems to be they don't sell it

I find it quite remarkable, you would think that you can buy it somewhere, since you can buy motorized paragliders, ultralights, etc, but not these motorized balloons. It seems such a practical and cheap way to experience flight, fill up a blimp balloon with helium, with a chair below and a few electric motors (or a paramotor) attached to it and there you go, no need for runaways or no need to jump of a mountain. Probably a lot safer too. But I just can't find a place where they sell it, odd.

Here's another one, they seem to be all homebuilt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jVS2AqD2I
The one feautured in the opening post seems more practical however, since the movement of the side propellors allows you to go up and down.
There would be lots of days where the windspeeds are low enough to fly with it.

pyronaught
Flag: United States of America

Postby pyronaught » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:05 am

It's a good design, but the inventor might have only been interested in building it for himself and not making a business that sells them. Or perhaps in France, as in America, the regulations and lawsuit risks deterred him from making them for sale. Such is our "modern" world.

flyhigh

Postby flyhigh » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:17 am

pyronaught wrote:It's a good design, but the inventor might have only been interested in building it for himself and not making a business that sells them. Or perhaps in France, as in America, the regulations and lawsuit risks deterred him from making them for sale. Such is our "modern" world.

That is one the disappointments I have. I'm sure there could be a niche market for personal blimps if it wasn't for the absence of the free-market in this era.
blimps don't crash, they sink.
~don't tread on me~

Escher

Postby Escher » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Well, for those in the US, there is still the FAR 103 ultralight category. Make the whole thing 254 lbs or less (without lifting gas), and you can fly it without a license or insurance, provided you stay away from controlled airspace. It's been done. ;)

pyronaught

Postby pyronaught » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:12 pm

In the US there is also the experimental aircraft designation that would not constrain you to the size and weight limitations of the ultralight category-- but you would not be able to sell them commercially or carry paying passengers. You would be able to legally get through the trials of developing the airship though and use it for personal use.

Escher

Postby Escher » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Experimental category is indeed another option. Despite the recent crackdown on "drones" and their commercial use, the US regulatory environment remains relatively open to aviation R&D and general playing around.

The reason I didn't bring up the experimental category is that an experimental gas airship will have to be certified as an airship, not a free balloon with a motor (as is possible with a hot air airship). In addition, the pilot will need an airship license. I'm afraid that certification as an airship, plus requirement for an airship pilot license, would be a significant "double whammy" hurdle for any economical (i.e. private, non-commercial) project.

pyronaught

Postby pyronaught » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:24 pm

The crackdown on commercial use of "Drones" has got to be the most idiotic move the FAA has ever made. It makes so little sense that I'm convinced there is some ulterior motive behind it. People who were using drones for commercial purposes were the most responsible group. They are not the ones flying them near airports and into commercial airspace because their business depends on doing it right. It's the kids and hobbyists who are breaking the rules, yet they are the ones who are allowed free reign. To just ban all commercial use like that and kill off a budding industry was totally uncalled for. It wiped out the outdoor RC blimp market too since they are included in the all encompassing "UAV" definition. RC blimps are expensive and the only people who can justify buying them are the ones doing commercial advertising or video with them. With the ban, only indoor blimps are flying commercially now. Total BS. I think what really happened here is that commercial pilots who do aerial photography were losing work to the much lower cost multi-rotor operations, then they lobbied the FAA for the drone ban using "safety" as the excuse for eliminating their competition. Many FAA bureaucrats are pilots as well, so they threw their buddies a bone while screwing over the entire commercial UAV market.

AirshipAmbassador

Postby AirshipAmbassador » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:27 am

Escher wrote:Well, for those in the US, there is still the FAR 103 ultralight category. Make the whole thing 254 lbs or less (without lifting gas), and you can fly it without a license or insurance, provided you stay away from controlled airspace. It's been done. ;)

I think one of the problems is the need for a runway. Unless you get a mosquito helicopter, but that has its downsides as well. I think most here are the laid back type who enjoy relaxed, slow flights that aren't as loud. Then one would need some sort of electric blimp featured in the video, only to be flown in the best weather conditions naturally. But as said in the posts above, OP would then have to build something himself or get into ballooning, there's not much of a real alternative.

Return to “General Discussion”