Important Notice

This is the forum for suggestions, comments, constructive criticism and questions regarding the website.
Airshipcenter
Site Admin
Flag: Netherlands

Important Notice

Postby Airshipcenter » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:27 pm

So our site just got compromised because of the gallery installation. Other forum admins who installed on their websites also suffered problems. Apparently it's still full of bugs. So I had to delete some features and revert back to previous standards and had to improvise, but I saved what I could save. Some of the posts are moved to other categories. None of the content should be lost, except some settings and site permissions. I won't be installing the gallery any time soon until it is properly fixed. If you experience any problems with the site please report it here.

pyronaught
Flag: United States of America

Re: Important Notice

Postby pyronaught » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:30 am

Galleries and any type of feature that allow users to upload content are prime areas for hackers to gain access or wreak havoc. Whenever my own sites have been hacked it is usually through a gallery type feature.

Airshipcenter
Site Admin

Postby Airshipcenter » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:43 pm

pyronaught wrote:Galleries and any type of feature that allow users to upload content are prime areas for hackers to gain access or wreak havoc. Whenever my own sites have been hacked it is usually through a gallery type feature.

Indeed they are. I'm glad I made back ups. If I hadn't, we would be a long way from home.

Airshipcenter
Site Admin

Postby Airshipcenter » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:47 pm

By the way, I finally got around installing extra anti-spam software. Hopefully, that should be solved now as well.

Edit: Could be there are still some existing spam accounts active that will get deleted after they show themselves, but new spam registrations should stop.

Airshipcenter
Site Admin

Postby Airshipcenter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:21 am

none of the anti-spam software seems to work. From now on I will disable email verification and verify new registrations myself.

Airshipcenter
Site Admin

Postby Airshipcenter » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:06 pm

Verifying new registrations myself seems to do the trick, we've gone like two weeks without spam! Although a little extra work for me, I don't mind, as that way I naturally visit our community more often. We get like 5 to 10 new spam account registrations a day, and occasionally there's a real new user between it. But these are easy to filter out.

Return to “Site Related”