Favorite historical airship?

Discussions about historical LTA-aviation, both civilian and military.
pyronaught
Flag: United States of America

Re: Favorite historical airship?

Postby pyronaught » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:59 am

Xair wrote: I think that the story of the Norge airship and polar expedition could be made into a great film.

It already has been. Find the movie called The Red Tent, made in 1969 starring Sean Connery. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I recall they did a pretty good job with the airship footage even with the limited special effects of the time.

Sean
Flag: United States of America

Postby Sean » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:37 am

Another airship type I like are the SS-class blimps built and used by the British during WWI.
They were cheap, simple and effective.
From wikipedia:
During the final 15 months of the war the 158 SS type airships carried out over 10,000 patrols, flying nearly one-and-a-half million miles in more than 50,000 hours.

Günther

Postby Günther » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:08 pm

I love the LZ 120 Bodensee. I think it's the perfect inspiration airship for building a modern rigid, being financially realistic.

Bodensee Zeppelin
Flag: Germany

Postby Bodensee Zeppelin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Good to see the LZ 120 is cherished 1+ I truly love that airship as well. It was not as overly ambitious as others and that gives it a special place, yet it was a large breakthrough. It's indeed a good model of inspiration for a modern rigid airship.
Doing my part in cherishing Zeppelins

Bodensee Zeppelin
Flag: Germany

Postby Bodensee Zeppelin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:44 pm

pyronaught wrote:
Xair wrote: I think that the story of the Norge airship and polar expedition could be made into a great film.

It already has been. Find the movie called The Red Tent, made in 1969 starring Sean Connery. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I recall they did a pretty good job with the airship footage even with the limited special effects of the time.

It's one of the hidden gems. Films from the era of 30 to 80 is full of them. Much better then many films you see today.
Doing my part in cherishing Zeppelins

Return to “Historical Discussion”